Deep Thoughts

Saturday, February 11, 2006

My reading list

Taking inspiration from Jeff's Dispatches and Trillwing over at The Clutter Museum, here is my own reading list:

Books I'm reading:
Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich - This one I am listing first because I am almost on the verge of finishing this (less than 40 pages to go) - It's been fairly interesting, gave a pretty good view of how hard it is to get by on minimal wage jobs.

The year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion - This is a memoir by Joan Didion talking about how she dealt with grief when her husband passed away. It's a lovely but sad book and tends to make me depressed every time I read it (also makes me miss my Dad, who passed away in the November of 2004 - I'll talk about him another time). I am about two-thirds of the way through the book; don't know when the next one-third is going to happen.

The Essential Rumi, Translations by Coleman Barks - This a book of beautiful poetry by Jelaluddin Rumi, translated from Urdu by Coleman Barks. The poems are deep and intense and very beautifully written. I pick up this book every now and then, read a few random poems, and feel nice - I don't anticipate myself reading the book from front to end, as I am sure I will not appreciate the poetry much that way. I have a long way to go with this one :)

The Design of Everyday Things, Donald A. Norman - I bought this book a few weeks after I took a 3-day training course on User-Centered Design. When they mentioned the book in class, it sounded interesting. I got started with the book more than 6 months ago, it was really interesting, funny and I was enjoying it and then somewhere I lost interest. But I know for sure that I am going back to this book sometime, it was really fun reading about the psychology of everyday things.

I will not even begin to list the books that I want to read, there are far too many and I know that by the end of the list, I will start wondering when am I ever going to find the time to read all of these books! So, I guess I will take up each book as its time comes :)

3 Comments:

  • I just finished 'My Sister's Keeper' and before that, 'The Timetraveler's Wife'. Both were pretty good. My Sister's Keeper was extremely well-written.

    By Blogger JustRun, at 11:24 PM  

  • I haven't heard about My Sister's Keeper, but The Timetraveler's Wife has been on my list for some time now. I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks!

    By Blogger deepThoughts, at 11:44 PM  

  • The Timtraveler's Wife is looooong but, surprisingly, it moves pretty quickly.

    I'm reading some of the Shopaholic books now... have you read any of those?

    By Blogger JustRun, at 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home